Friday, January 1, 2010

Kiehl's Creme de Corps

For a long time I thought Lush Dream Cream was the perfect body moisturizer. I don't know what happened, but suddenly it stopped working. It felt like it was just sitting on top of my skin without sinking in, without moisturizing the dry, scaly bits. And then I switched over to Dr Hauschka's Rose Body Moisturizer hoping that would work better. It was great and moisturized well enough, but I needed copious amounts for it to work well, which was not a good thing considering it was fairly expensive. Also, I was not a big fan of the scent -- it smelled a bit off (like musky sweat) on hot, humid days.

Recently, I found an offer on eBay I just couldn't resist and bought two travel-size bottles of Kiehl's Creme de Corps without really thinking twice. I guess my impulse purchase may have had something to do with the fact that I'd seen a bottle of it on Vogue editor Anna Wintour's desk in The September Issue. Anyway, I ordered it, and I am hooked. A week after buying the travel-size bottles, I bought a full-size bottle of Creme de Corps Light from the Mecca Cosmetica counter at Myer Bourke St. Creme de Corps Light, as the name suggests, is a lighter version of the original. I use it on my chest, back and arms after showering, and it sinks in almost immediately. It doesn't have much of a scent, a good thing in my book -- although it smells mildly of olive and sweet almond oils (not surprising considering olive oil is the second ingredient on the list). Most body moisturizers break me out, but both the original and the light don't, and that's amazing because they have very rich moisturizing properties.

My aunt had given me a Myer gift card for Christmas, and I bought a full-size bottle of the original Creme de Corps with it yesterday. The texture is soft and rich, but unlike the light version, I have to wait a few minutes for it to sink in. I use it only on the very dry bits - hands, elbows, feet - before going to bed, and wake up with very soft skin. I like the scent, too: find it very comforting.

Like most Kiehl's products, the packaging for Creme de Corps rocks. The old-fashioned yet modern apothecary-style packaging is very unisex and looks nice on my bedside table. They have launched a new limited-edition bottle in the States, designed by graffiti artist Kaws. I don't know if it'll be available here in Australia, but it's totally hip.

Available at Mecca Cosmetica for $52 (250 ml).


No comments:

Post a Comment